Windows XP eliminates DOS from the operating system, making it difficult to get DOS games to play. All is not lost, below are a few different steps you can try. The first step is the easiest and not all steps need to be followed. Just find the one that works getting your DOS games to play in Windows X.
Time Required: Varies
- Compatibility Mode: Use Windows XP's compatibility mode. You can find it by right clicking on a shortcut to the game, and choosing the compatibility tab.
- Dual Boot: Set up a partition on your hard drive for DOS or an older version of Windows and dual boot it with Windows XP.
- File Names: Keep the folder names of the DOS game limited to 9 characters.
- Use your PC's internal speaker or General Midi for clean sound, or turn the sound off completely.
- An Old Computer: Buy an older computer that has DOS on and use it just for your DOS games.
What You Need
- DOS Game
- Windows XP