The Bottom Line
Enjoyable and entertaining gameplay that city building sim fans will become addicted to.
- online play
- engaging gameplay
- open play & missions
- gameplay similar to previous sims in series
- difficult combat interface
- Released: September 2002
- Developer: Breakaway Games
- Publisher: Sierra
- Build a flourishing city in Ancient China in "Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom."
- Compete or cooperate with up to 7 players in online play - build a monument or wage war on cities.
- Over 40 single player missions to try, or create your own with the scenario editor.
- The Chinese dynasties represented include: Xia, Sang, Zhou, Qin, Han, Sui/Tang, and Song/Jin.
- Trade with neighboring cities for goods, such as jade and rice.
- Pay homage to the Gods with the hopes of winning their respect and help.
- Battle, defend, and defeat other cities by building an army.
Guide Review - "Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom"
If you have played "Zeus" or "Pharaoh" you are already familiar with the basics of the "Emperor." In this city building sim, you'll build industries, farm, trade, and compete against other cities. You'll also have to pay homage to Gods to keep them happy. They'll take anything from silk to rice. You'll be able to easily tell the difference between difficulty levels in the missions. If you like a challenge, you'll love the hardest level. Because gameplay is similar to previous games in the series, you may want to consider passing on this game, unless you are craving more city building fun. "Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom" is a must have for city building fans, because it is packed with hundreds of hours of play.