The Bottom Line
The perfect game for Star Wars and "Age of Empires" fans. If you don't have an interest in either of these, then this is not the game for you.
- well rendered graphics
- variety of options in Standard gameplay
- easy to use scenario/campaign creator
- basically "Age of Empires" with new graphics
- Released: Nov 9, 2001
- Developer: LucasArts Entertainment
- A real time strategy game based on Star Wars using the "Age of Empires" game engine.
- Civs include: Galactic Empire, Rebel Alliance, Wookiees, Gungans, Royal Naboo and Trade Federation.
- Create your own custom scenarios or campaigns using the scenario editor.
- Over 300 different units and buildings to use in battle on land, sea, or air.
- Modes of play include: campaigns, custom campaigns, and standard games.
- Customize just about everything about a Standard game, including victory conditions and game type.
- Background info is provided about each of the major characters in Star Wars.
- Work your way up the technology ladder through research and constructing necessary buildings.
Guide Review - "Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds"
"Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds" can easily be summed up as "Age of Empires" with a Star Wars theme. You play one of six civilizations, build up an army, collect resources, and research new technology. The strategy game does include a few new features (including a larger tech tree), but for the most part the graphics are just different. This is not to say the game is not fun. Heck, I don't even like Star Wars and I enjoyed playing. For those of us who know little about the movie, background detail about Star Wars was in-depth and easy to digest. I love the details of creating a new game - setting victory conditions, map size, etc. All in all, this is a great game that reminds me of my love for real-time strategy games.