The Sims File Cop is a small download from Maxis that searches your downloads and checks for bad files. The bad files are removed and usually can fix them in a paint program.
Time Required: Varies
- Download The Sims File Cop.
- Install The Sims File Cop, using the default location in the Maxis folder or choosing your own.
- Run The Sims File Cop and click OK on the first screen. It will then search for bad download files, such as walls and skins. The process of finding bad files could take a few minutes depending on how many downloads you have.
- If a problem is found a message will pop up and let you know the files have been moved.
- Bad Textures: If The Sims File Cop found bad skin files it will move then to the BadTextures folder within The Sims File Cop folder. You can fix the bad bmps by opening them in a paint program and resaving them as 256 colors.
- Bad Other Files: Some files cannot be fixed by resaving them in a different color mode. These files end up in the BadOtherFiles folder. Put these files back in at your own risk.
- Always run The Sims File Cop after installing skins to make sure they won't crash your game.
What You Need
- The Sims File Cop
- The Sims