|Getting Started with "The Sims"|
|Help for newbies.|
Many fans have started to create wallpaper, floors, roofs, and objects. You can easily play the game without ever downloading a user creation, but I wouldn't recommend it. Downloading is part of the fun! User creations keep the game fresh and fun.
Programs You Should Have
There are many more programs besides the ones listed above that you can download. The below are essentials if you are new to "The Sims."
- The Sims File Cop - This program will help keep your game clean of bad or corrupted files. Run this program after you install a batch of files to prevent crashes.
- Winzip - Or another zipping program of your preference. There are many good free ones out there. The majority of fan sites zip up (compress) their files. In order to use the downloads you'll have to unzip and extract them to folders within in your Sims directory.
- AVG - AVG is a free antivirus program. You should always scan files you download before you use them. There are, of course, other antivirus programs you can use. Just be sure to use one, and keep it updated.
It's important to be organized with your downloads. I organize my downloads by site, you may prefer by room, or by type (object, wallpaper, etc.). Decide how you are going to organize your downloads, and stick to it. If you don't, you'll have a big mess on your hands in no time.
Where are the goodies?
Now that you are prepared to download, it's time to find out where the best places are to download some cool "stuff" for your Sims. Below are links to lists of quality sites that you will enjoy.
Installing User Creations
Installing your downloads is a very easy process, once you get use to using your zipping program. Below are links to help you install your downloads.
You wouldn't want to lose your favorite furniture sets, would you? How often you back up your files, depends on how often you download. If you download a lot each week, you may want to pick a specific day to backup. Fan sites are always opening and closing, so it's extra important to make sure you have at least your favorites.
- Copy to second hard drive
- Burn to CD with a CD-Writer
- Upload to web storage like FreeDrive
- Copy to Floppies as a last resort
Strategy, Tips, and Help
There will come a time when your Sims will cause problems. There is usually a simple solution. It's just a matter of finding it. Here is some help to get you started.
Which Expansion Pack to Get Next?
Chances are you will probably want to buy one of the expansion packs after you've been playing for awhile. The packs will keep the game fun and interesting. I suggest buying them in the order they were released. The installation of them over each other goes much smoother this way. But if there is just one expansion pack that you must have, there isn't any harm in buying "Hot Date" before "Living Large." It'll work fine, but you may need to uninstall everything and start over for the game to run correctly. Below are links to resources about the expansion packs. They are listed in order of release.