- Developer: Out of the Park Developments GmbH
- Publisher: Out of the Park Developments GmbH
- Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
- Format: Digital Download
- File Size: 218 MB
- Release Date: June 22, 2011
- Includes 2011 Major League rosters
- Play as or against teams from 1871 to 2010
- Create a fictional league and generate your own baseball stories
- Join or form your own online league with friends and family members
- Includes an updated financial system, improved AI, and other enhancements
- Sign free agents, negotiate contract extensions, call up prospects, and more
- Manage or sim each game on your team's schedule
Out of the Park Developments continues its baseball simulation series that began in 1999 with Out of the Park Baseball 12 (OOTP 12). For those new to the series, the game has you guiding a team through a single season or multiple seasons as manager and/or general manager.
The game features real-life player names and stats but not official team logos or player photos, and you don't actually control the athletes on the field. Instead, you'll set pitching rotations, batting orders, make trades, and monitor finances to keep your team's operating expenses under control.
You can sim individual games or entire seasons, or you can manage the game by calling the action from the virtual dugout. Call a squeeze play, pitch around a hitter, go for the double steal, attempt a hit and run, and more. A static photo of a ballpark shows the names of position players on defense as well as the batter, with the scoreboard, lineup, and other pertinent information off to the sides.
Results are derived from each athlete's ratings based on a specific season, with a text stream functioning as the play-by-play in lieu of announcers. Sound effects such as crowd boos or cheers, umpire calls, the crack of the bat, and organ music bring some atmosphere to the presentation.
New features for this installment includes complete rosters for each professional level, from the majors to the minors, a revamped financial system with more realistic contract deals, updated trading AI, a new league newspaper screen that generates information from your season, and more.
You can play alone against the computer or with friends in custom online leagues. A historical mode lets you simulate any season of your choice from 1871 to 2010, or you can create a custom league with fictitious players that will age over time and eventually retire. OOTP 12 is also open to customization, with players able to modify photos, logos, schedules, rosters, play-by-play text and more.