- Developer: FireFly Studios
- Publisher: 7Sixty LLC
- Platform: PC
- ESRB Rating: Teen
- Release Date: October 18, 2011
- Features a true fog-of-war system that uses darkness as an impediment
- Influence how others view you with the types of buildings you construct
- Includes a physics engine that allows for procedural destruction
- Test your defenses in a series of historical sieges
- Includes both combat and economic campaigns
- Challenge others online in multiple game types
- Master the all-new sappers unit
Stronghold 3 is a kingdom simulator that combines building, economy management, and siege warfare in one package. The chief antagonist in this installment is Wolf, who has somehow survived his attack in the original Stronghold (2001) and is out for revenge.
A revamped building system offers more options while designing your castle and nearby village. No longer tied to a grid system for placement, the buildings you choose to construct -- from gardens to gallows -- now influence the morale of fighting units in your kingdom.
An enhanced physics engine allows for more realistic sieges that incorporate procedural damage and destruction, and a day-night cycle offers true fog of war as you prepare to defend against sieges from under the cover of darkness.
Once you've perfected the lost art of storming the castle, you can take your catapult-flinging, pitch-pouring skills online against friends and family members.
Two story-driven campaigns are included, along with a variety of historical scenarios to complete. A built-in map and scenario editor is also available, with the ability to share created files with other Stronghold 3 owners.